Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Moyra Donaldson - Initial thoughts

I was delighted to be asked to join Project 365 + 1 for a number of reasons. Kit says there is no such thing as writer's block and to some extent I agree. I have been producing poetry for most of my life, working into the early hours of the morning when my children were small and always managing to find scraps of time between work and family and all the rest. However over the last couple of years, and for a number of reasons, I have found my energy dipping and my ability to get motivated to write seeming to founder.
I timed my involvement with this project to coincide with taking eight weeks off work on unpaid leave. I wanted to take some time to try to kick-start some writing.
Since beginning the project, I find myself thinking about poetry on a daily basis, making sure I produce something, even if it is a small thing and going over notes towards poems and making new notes towards poems. It has given me the impetus to get going and I'm very grateful for that. It has allowed me to read new work from others on a daily basis, which is great and stimulating. I am a little concerned that it might distract me from 'bigger' work, but at the moment I'm more than content to be writing at all.
I love collaborations, my last project involved working with a photographer, so I'm excited to see if anything of that nature might come out of this.

No comments:

Post a Comment